• Public Liability.

    Public Liability.

Are you eligible to claim?

If you are injured in a public or private place you may be able to sue the occupier for your injury and loss.

This is generally referred to as a public liability or occupier’s liability claim, and as an example may include slipping over at a shopping centre or having a product fall on you at a shop.

In most instances negotiations will occur with the occupier’s public liability insurer, and you will need to show that it was the occupier’s negligence which caused your injury. As a rule, public liability claims are disputed by the insurer from the outset which means that you will have to pay for your own treatment. 

What am I entitled to claim?

Depending on the circumstances of your case you may be eligible to claim:

  • General damages which compensate for your pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and loss of amenities.

  • Economic loss including past and future loss of income and superannuation. You may be back at work, but there is still the potential to claim for loss of earning capacity or loss of opportunity in the circumstance where your injury impacts your ability to obtain a promotion, do overtime or obtain employment in a higher paid job. If you have suffered a psychological or psychiatric injury as a result of the accident, this condtion also compensable.

  • Past and future medical treatment costs.

  • Gratuitous services or voluntary assistance for the support that family and friends have provided to you due to your accident injuries. For example, helping with self-care, bathing, cooking dinners, washing clothes and other domestic duties.  

  • Past and future travelling expenses for travel to and from treatment providers.

What are our clients saying about us?

  • I would like to thank Justin and the team at PPIL, thanks for being in my corner. They have helped me find closure after my work injury. Highly recommended!
    Dave H
    Personal Injury Claim
  • I would like to thank Natasha and all her wonderful staff for all the thorough and excellent hard work that they all put into my motor vehicle accident claim.

    I can highly recommend them for any claim you have. The level of professionalism and customer service is outstanding. I was very satisfied.
    Angela D
    Motor Vehicle Claim

There are specific guidelines around when an individual should commence proceedings:


  • If at the time of the accident you were at least 18 years of age, you have three years from the date of the accident to either settle your claim or to commence legal proceedings to protect your rights and entitlements. 

As public liability claims are strongly contested, a robust argument is required to substantiate your claims of negligence and loss. At times you may need to commence legal proceedings to bring the insurer to the table to discuss settlement.   

If you were below the age of 18 years of age at the time of the accident, your limitation period is generally longer but it is always important to obtain legal advice. Click here for more details. 

If you believe you have a public liability claim contact us to discuss your situation. 


There’s a reason we have a 99% success rate.

“Always in your corner” means acting in your best interest. We give clear, honest and frank advice and will not fill you full of false expectations. We will give you a break down of your claim and will recommend a strategic approach that will provide you with the leverage to obtain the best personal and financial outcome. We will only take on your case if we are confident in a successful outcome. PPIL - your committed personal injury lawyers in Perth and Mandurah.

Get in touch.

Legal matters are complex and we welcome all enquiries and questions. Please complete this form and one of our team will be in touch immediately.


Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Already verified you are human.